I did science! Allison and I babysat the “new” manuscript over reading period and so we were able to make a ton of progress. Here’s a summary:
- It fits under the microscope! It takes some weights, as usual, but it works.
- We can reach a decent number of pages, which is excellent.
- We have officially confirmed the blue pigment to be azurite! Now that I know what I’m doing, that was pretty straightforward.
- The macro adaptor just isn’t going to work out for this one. There’s not enough space and despite our valiant efforts (there were many) we couldn’t unscrew things enough to get a good fit. Oh well.
- I got some excellent pictures of the azurite, which is GORGEOUS and perfect and will do very nicely for the eventual exhibit.
And that’s about it! We have several plans for the future, including getting spectra of the red ink (yay) and hopefully figuring out the MALDI (eventually). Other than the manuscript I have also been moving forward with graduate applications and will continue to do so for the rest of the term.
Now I’m off to Midstates this week (8th)! I’ll give an update on that once I get back.