Week 7

The Liquid Cell-

I have performed two tests this week regarding the liquid cell. One of those test was done with a 0.35M TbaTf 1-Octanol measuring conductivity over a 5-85C range and the other was of a 0.2M LiTf Cyclohexanone solution in the 5-85C. The 0.35M TbaTf 1-Octanol solution test was done to compare the conductivity of this solution with previously measured conductivities of the same solution. In theory this should tell us whether the liquid cell is still measuring conductivity properly (given that we have already verified its dielectric measurement ability with the 1-Octanol solution last week). Although this test was successful, as in there was no visible evidence of contaminate and the IR spectra of pre and post testing match exactly, I did not have a reference 0.35M TbaTf 1-Octanol spreadsheet to verify the conductivity measurements. I then preceded to run a 0.2M LiTf cyclohexanone solution in liquid cell 1. This test is designed to determine whether atmospheric water would contaminate our 10:1 LiTFSI CnmPyrrTFSI samples while conductivity measurements were being obtained. The recovered sample was again clear and showed no visible signs of contamination, IR was performed on the pre and post testing solution, and no H2O peak was observed in either. This would seem to suggest that atmospheric water contamination would not be a concern after all. In order to verify that atmospheric H2O would readily contaminate an exposed sample of 0.2M LiTf cyclohexanone, I left the recovered sample sit out in the lab for an 1h, I then took an IR of that sample and noted a small broad peak at 3500 1/cm, indicating water contamination. I am a little concerned that the IR is not sensitive enough of an instrument to detect minor amount of H2O.

Density Measurements-

I spent some quality time with Gus this Monday, and he taught me how to use the Density meter. I managed to obtain density for the C3, C4, and C6 group from 5-85C. Although I did not take the 5C for the C6 group for fear that it would solidify at 5C. The data looks linear and fair good.

Viscosity-

I performed viscosity measurements on the 10:1 C3mPyrrTFSI LiTFSI solution.

Future Plans-

When I return from vacation with the family, I want to make the C8 solution, and perform the density and viscosity measurement for that solution. I also, with additional discussion and advice from Allison, start taking conductivity measurements using our newly verified Liquid Cell #1. After that, I can either begin analysis of that data, or maybe even begin on non-lithium solutions.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s