Caren Sullivan-Feb 11th, 2016

This week I was able to get the Raman calibrated again, so I have been busy taking spectra! First, I conducted an experiment on a slice of the parchment I purchased to see if I would damage the parchment from too intense/long of 532nm laser exposure. I divided the parchment into a chart: vertically, the chart consisted of different power output settings on which to have the laser; horizontally, the chart consisted of exposing the laser to the parchment for 100s and 300s, respectively. After reaching 50% laser filter for 100s and seeing no visible damage to the parchment (using the confocal microscope) and achieving quality spectra at 1% laser filter, I ended the experiment. This experiment told me that I definitely will not damage the manuscript parchment with the 532nm laser at 1% or 10% power output. Then, I took Raman spectra of my parchment and my ink on parchment, as well as the ink in the manuscript. Lastly, I took spectra of the silicon chip (used to calibrate the Raman) at 0 inverse cm, 20 inverse cm, and 40 inverse cm spectrometer gratings in order to test SSRS on the spectra. Tomorrow, I will try SSRS on the spectra! Next week, I plan to take more spectra of my inks on parchment, as well as the manuscript and hopefully analyze the spectra via SSRS.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s