I’ll try to remove my emotions from this post as it is my last entry for this term. This past week I apparently have psychologically manipulated Allison to get her to collect the conductivity data for me, as after I set up the liquid cell, she has proceded to remove it, clean it, clean LC2, put … More The Last Wupdate
As the term draws to an end, of course it’s difficult to find time in the lab. However, I–pardon the expression as a vegetarian–killed two birds with one stone by doing my final project for Advanced Inorganic Chemistry on iron gall ink! Thanks to a paper I found on ACS (http://pubs.acs.org/doi/pdf/10.1021/ja5027612), I now have reference Raman … More Caren Sullivan–November 18th, 2015
These last two weeks have been incredibly full of school work. However, this last week I have been able to make some quite notable headway. I used the old program for two things: to see if the program communicated with the ministat successfully and to find where the processing/reference temperature was located within the program. … More Ben Clark Update – November 17, 2015
Short week (Thur-Tue) this week so I’m putting this one to press quicker than usual. In the lab this week I took the remaining density data for C(n)mimTFSI. This occupied most of my time During my meeting with Allison, we talked about the papers she had confiscated from me. Essentially we (she) made a list of … More Wupdate #4!
As the term comes to the end, I have found myself extremely busy with schoolwork, but am still working hard to fit in time in the lab. Earlier this week, I found some really cool papers in JACS about iron gall ink! One of the papers discussed using a new technique the team was working to … More Caren Sullivan–November 11th, 2015
On my miniscule 3 hours per week, I actually managed to make some really good progress! I began taking density data of the 1-alkyl-3-methylimidazolium bis(trifluoromethanesulfonyl)imide family. I also taught Leif (my roommate) how to pronounce some of the ionic liquid names, which he was really excited about. Possible chemistry major? He said he’ll sit this one out and stick … More Wupdate #3!
This week was quite fruitful. The serial cables came in. They were opened up and the wires were separated and then reattached to the new pinout. This was accomplished through cutting through the wires, determining their respective pin numbers, and then cross connecting the ones that would lead to the correct pinout for our alteration … More Ben Clark Update – November 5, 2015
This past week I was able to accomplish a ton of goals that I had last week–but still have much left to do as always! I have now characterized my different inks via UV-Vis and IR spectroscopy, as well as pH data. The UV-Vis data shows that the inks are absorbing all colors equally. Obviously, … More Caren Sullivan–November 4th, 2015